Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Happy 1 month


Dear Harper,
I can't believe that I am actually writing to my daughter. It actually feels very weird to call you that, I guess it just hasn't sunk in yet. I am just so thankful for you. We have prayed for you for a very long time and I just can't believe you are here. We have enjoyed our first month together. You have been a great baby. You have had many visitors and everyone just thinks you are the cutest thing; and of course I agree.

You are pretty easy. I was prepared to stay up for hours at night, but you have been a great sleeper from the very beginning. I laugh that I have slept better since you were born than I did when I was pregnant. You usually sleep 4 hours between feedings at night, although the past few nights you have gone 5 +. The great thing is that you do not wake up between feedings, so we can usually get some great sleep.

You DO NOT like being swaddled. You moan and groan and fight it every single time we wrap you up. The funny thing is during your sleep you always manage to get your left leg out of the swaddle, and it is always your left leg.

I'm getting better at putting you down for naps instead of letting you sleep on my chest. It has been hard, but I get a lot done that way. I just know you won't be able to or want to sleep in my arms for long, so I try to soak it in when it does happen.

When you were 2 weeks old you started this pee when we change you thing. Your dad could not believe it, he thought girls didn't do that. I thought it was hysterical.

I can't believe how fast you are growing. You weighed 8 lbs 13 oz at your 2 week appointment. I can already tell some of your newborn clothes are getting too small and you can no longer wear newborn diapers, so sad.


You love being outside. We discovered the first few days you were home that you loved swinging outside on the front porch swing. You can be crying and as soon as we go outside to the swing, you settle down.

I have toted you all over Birmingham and you have been great. I get tired of staying in the house all day so we usually take a trip somewhere during the day.

Will & Hoke came to visit
We think Hoke looks a lot like his uncle

Your daddy started reading to you last week. You just lay on his chest and he usually reads aloud for about an hour. It makes his throat sore, but he must not mind. He is currently reading some book made up of columns from the Wall Street Journal. Sounds pretty boring to me, but you enjoy it. He has been such a big help to me. Yall have your daddy/daughter time when he gets home from work. He always wants to do everything for you when he gets home. He gives you baths, reads to you, plays with you, and gets you ready for bed. It is really cute to watch.

There were a lot of things about the day you were born that I won't forget. The way you looked at me when they placed you on my chest. How much fun it was when we found out you were a girl. Announcing your arrival and introducing you to friends and family. There was one moment between your dad and I that I will never forget. You had just been born and they had taken you away and he was over with you while they were checking you over. Your daddy just looked at me from across the room and I will never forget that face; tears running down his face and the look in his eyes, we had done it, you were finally ours. It was such a special moment for us, one I will never forget.

I am going to try to take your picture each month so we can see how much you grow.

You weren't very happy in this picture!!
This past week you discovered that your hands taste pretty good. It is pretty funny to watch you try to fit your entire fist in your mouth. It is hard to keep you focused during your tummy time because your fist seem to be more appealing than practicing holding your head up.

Occasionally we can get you to do your big open mouth grin and it is so cute. We just love it!!! I can't wait till you do more smiling and to hear your laugh, oh it will be music to my ears.

Harper, I am so thankful for every moment I get to spend with you. You are such a blessing to us. We learn more and more about each other every day. I can't wait to see what you develop and learn next month.

We love you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment